POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray Wiki : Re: Povray Wiki Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray Wiki
From: Renderdog
Date: 5 Jan 2005 07:25:00
Message: <web.41dbdbc08aadd1e24a904c7d0@news.povray.org>
"Tom Melly" <pov### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:
> Also, I'd suggest some forum for discussion on the structure and interface
> of the site.
>
> In terms of structure, my only comment at the moment is that it needs
> thought. How will searches be structured? Or, to put it another way, how
> will the site be structured so to make finding a relevant resource as easy
> as possible?
>
> Regarding the interface, it would be nice to go for a cleaner, more
> recognisable look. Also, aren't there other editors that can make creating
> articles less complex? (much as I like wiki in principle, I find the basic
> wiki-style an obstacle to activity). Anyone know if the editor/article
> interface they use at wikipedia is an available plugin?

I'm also concerned about starting a website without planning the
layout and interface for usefulness and efficiency. A lot of pain
can be avoided by taking some time before jumping into the
water (as POV-Ray coders know).

Also, I hope authors will remember POV-Ray supports multiple
platforms. Many tools are not available for all platforms and I'd
like to see a POV-Ray reference site focus on POV-Ray code,
not external tools unavailable to some.

Finally, the most useful advice (and the hardest to write) are
explanations as to why a particular method is used. Presenting
a piece of code with comments is fine, but background
information explaining why it is done that way and relating it
to the many other paths that could be taken is much more
useful.